When choosing temporary accommodation for your first few weeks in Australia, try to select a place where you will be able to extend your time easily if you need to. It could take you a month or more to find a rental and you should be prepared for this. If you are coming to work on an employer sponsored migration visa, ask your company to help you choose an executive rental. Most companies are happy to help their employees with temporary housing when they are moving to a new country and some even have special apartments that they own for this purpose.

If you are a single person, you might want to try shared housing, especially if you are young and want to meet new people right away. You’ll also save a lot of money doing this, as it can be expensive to live alone. If you want to go solo, you’ll need to find a property in a price range that property managers will deem your salary sufficient to afford (usually your rent must not be more than one-third of your salary). You may also encounter some private listings when you look through the newspapers or online. Renting a property through a private individual can be a more flexible experience than renting through a real estate agent. Each state has laws that govern professional agents and independent landlords equally, and you will be protected under the same rules and provided with the same rights and obligations as if you rent from a professional agent.

Each state has different laws and different governing bodies that enforce housing rules. You will be provided with the rules in your state once you sign a rental agreement. The most popular websites used to find properties for sale or rent are listed below. Properties are available for viewing either by appointment, at ‘open for inspection’ times or by picking up the keys from the leasing agent’s office (a deposit may be required and conditions will apply). Once you find a place that you’re interested in, you can ask for a residential tenancy application. The landlord or agent will ask for formal identification such as a driver’s license or passport, your employment details and references. You may also have to provide bank statements, birth certificates, a rental history and a mortgage statement from your last country of residence if applicable.

If you are successful in your application for a rental property, you will be asked to sign a standard tenancy agreement, which may include a supplementary annexure covering additional conditions you must agree to as a tenant. There are two types of tenancy agreements in Australia. The first type of agreement is a fixed-term agreement, which is set for a specific period of time (usually one year). The second type, a periodic or month-to-month agreement, goes from week-to-week or month-to-month. The primary differences between the two are the ability of the landlord to raise rent (usually only after the fixed term ends and only every six months for a periodic agreement) and the notice periods required for certain actions during the tenancy such as terminating the agreement. You usually must give a certain number of weeks’ notice before vacating your property at the end of a fixed-term agreement, even if the agreement ends on a specific date. Please check the details of your particular lease agreement if you have questions about anything.

Before you commence a rental tenancy, you will also be asked for a security bond, which is money to cover any damage to the property or loss of rent that the landlord may incur during your tenancy. Usually the amount of the bond is equal to one month’s rent, however, under certain circumstances, the landlord can ask for more than one month’s rent. The bond cannot be used towards any part of your rent. You will also be asked to provide one month’s rent in advance. Before you move in, you will fill out a condition report that notes any pre-existing damages or irregularities to the property prior to moving in. Be sure to keep a copy of this report so that you have evidence to show that you did not damage the property if there are any disputes about the bond at the end of the lease. https://www.houstir.com/